You’ve been asking for zero-waste wedding ideas — and we’re here for it! An average wedding produces hundreds of pounds of waste and tons (literally!) of C02 emissions. The easiest way to eliminate all waste is to head to the courthouse and elope with very minimal frills, but if you still want a traditional wedding, there are many ways you can plan to reduce your impact on the environment! Did you create a zero-waste wedding? We’d love to see it!
CHOOSE RECYCLED OR PAPERLESS INVITATIONS
- Aim for eco-friendly paper options. There are many companies that use recyclable, bamboo, and even seeded paper that you can plant to grow into flowers! Pro tip: Make sure your guests know their invites are recyclable or re-useable.
- Eliminate all waste with e-invitations. Make things green while saving time! E-invitations are an awesome way to reduce waste and make managing your guest list easier than ever. Check out our post on The Best Places to Purchase Wedding Invitations Online for some awesome ideas!
SUPPORT SUSTAINABLE BRANDS
- The wedding dress: The search for a wedding dress is never an easy feat, but searching for a sustainable design can be even more daunting! Luckily, brands like Reformation, Wear Your Love, and Indiebride London have all made huge efforts to create beautiful gowns without harm to our environment. Pro tip: You can purchase ethically-made wedding rings, too! Here is a list of the best Etsy shops for vintage engagement rings.
- The wedding suits: Again, searching for sustainable brands is a great way to support like-minded businesses and reduce your footprint. While renting a tux from a vendor such as The Black Tux does add some emissions during the shipping process, you can request your garments be sent in re-useable bags!
- As a guest: It may be time to thrift shop! If that’s not your thing, we’ve linked a few of our favorite eco-friendly wedding guest styles below.
INVEST IN NEW BEAUTY PRODUCTS
- Your wedding might be the perfect excuse to invest in new beauty products. The Detox Market and Credo Beauty experts can help you identify which brands also value zero-waste initiatives.
- If you are hiring a professional to help with your makeup, let them know you’d like to eliminate as much waste as possible. Makeup wipes, plastic eyelashes, packaging, etc. can add up quickly and many of these items cannot be recycled.
MAKE YOUR VENUE SELECTION A PRIORITY
- Say “no” to a destination, unless it’s intimate. Flying dozens of people to another country is a quick way to rack up your C02 emissions. If you do want to host something afar, keep your guest count to a minimum and stay long enough to make a vacation out of it!
- Ask this: Do you have a recycling and composting option? If not, it’s ok! If your venue doesn’t have a recycling or composting option, you can research local companies who you can partner with for proper waste baskets. Some will even pick up the recycling or compost after the event.
- Look for a space that already has decor or needs minimal rentals. A space with re-useable decor will save tons of emissions from event rental trucks having to haul decor to your venue!
GO FOR COMPOSTABLE OR REUSABLE GOODS
- Compostable goods are the way to go. Look for products that are made with compostable materials. Then, make sure you have clearly marked compost bins so guests can easy help with your efforts.
- Make drink glasses a party favor. We love the idea of gifting guests with their drinking glass — and your guests are sure to love it, too!